Sunday, January 5, 2014

Looking back

This past week, I read through all my old posts on here.  It was such a great experience!  I had written so many funny stories about the kids that I had forgotten about.  I loved looking back at the old pictures.    I hadn't realized before how much I would treasure my previous posts.  I'm disappointed that I haven't kept up with this the last few years.  I found a website that would create a book with all my posts for just $90.  This becomes a journal of our life that I can share with our kids.  It was good for me to look back and remember how I felt at different times of our homeschooling journey and different things I was going through.

Josh and I celebrated our 17th anniversary yesterday.  We had the kids with us this year so we didn't have any big plans.  Because they're getting older, we were going to leave them at home while we went out for dinner and a movie.  A big snowstorm was coming our way and I started to wonder if maybe we should go out earlier in the day.  There were also some things I wanted to get at the store.  And the movie I wanted to see was only playing at 9 pm.  So, we changed our plans a bit and went out for lunch and then got a few groceries, wandered through the used bookstore and came home.  We ordered pizza for supper and then I made Rice Krispy houses (using a mold) and let the kids decorate that with candy.

At one point, I started thinking about how it wasn't really a typical way to spend an anniversary.  But you know what?  I loved it.  Because it was relaxed and we were all home safe and these 4 kids have brought so much joy and happiness to our marriage.  I thought about what life was like for us 17 years ago and I'm so happy to be where I am right now.

And I am also planning our next kid-free weekend.  :)  But that will have to wait until after basketball season.

No comments: