Monday, September 15, 2014

Day 6

Today was more of a creative kind of day.  The girls were using the ipad to make a movie this morning.  Brendan was still sleeping and Owen couldn't think of anything to do because he was fixated on not being able to help the girls.  I asked if he wanted to fill out a math chart and his enthusiasm was quite humorous.  I gave him a blank multiplication chart and explained that it was counting by numbers.  He caught on very quickly and filled out half of it. 

I was gone for part of the day to run some errands so the kids had more of a break in the middle of the day.  When I was home, they worked on Pioneers homework and then the girls filled out a multiplication chart while Brendan did his science test.  Tori decided she wants me to give her math sheets to work on this year instead of using a book.  This is exciting stuff, people.  She is taking charge of her education and figuring out what she wants it to look like and what she needs to work on.  Remember, this girl hates math.  But she just asked me to give her math sheets to work on.  I have said nothing to her about needing to do math.  Nothing. 

Brendan continues to do his work without me asking about it.  I *did* ask yesterday if he needed any help with anything from Pioneers.  I'm trying to figure out how I can stay involved and informed without taking over.  And also how to get him to think about his assignments without nagging.  He is supposed to take quite a few pictures for his photography class and hasn't taken any yet so we'll see how this goes. 

Rachel enjoyed working on the multiplication chart but was starting to get discouraged when she got into the higher numbers.  I had told her to only fill out what she knew and to stop when she didn't know it but she really wants to finish it. 

I am making an effort to be home more, which is slightly more difficult this week because we will be leaving for vacation soon and there are things that need to be done.  For the most part, my goal is to be home and to be present with them - making suggestions, asking if they want to play games, reading books with them, finding good videos on-line or good tv shows to watch to help us learn. 

No comments: