Thursday, October 23, 2008

On my way

About 4 years ago, Josh and I went to see a play at Jackson Community College. We were walking around the building waiting until it was time to be seated and there was an advertisement for someone giving guitar lessons. It hadn't really occured to me until that moment that I could take guitar lessons. It wasn't too late and I hadn't missed my chance. The idea was planted but I kept putting it off. Another year went by and then we found out we were expecting twins and it was put way off. I started thinking about it again about a year ago and talked to a few people about it.

Part of the problem was when and where to take lessons and from who? Then I thought about Chris, one of the guitarists in our church's worship band. There were several times, after hearing him play, that I would think, "I want to play like that." Hmm, maybe he could teach me?

I asked him about it and he was quick to say yes. Almost a little too quick. He asked if I had a guitar. Of course not. That would mean I was serious about it and it would be a financial investment in what had only been a far-fetched dream. A "maybe someday" dream. No problem, he said, you can learn on mine. But that meant I had no excuses anymore. Nothing to keep me from my first lesson.

So I had my first lesson last night. And I loved it. I have spent several hours since then researching guitars and trying to figure out what I want so I can get it as soon as possible. My nails have been shortened to better hold the strings. I have an acoustic guitar I borrowed from a friend so I can practice until I get my own. I know it's going to be hard. I still have to look at a diagram about 5 times before I get my fingers in the right position for one chord. But it's going to be worth it. Oh, is it going to be worth it.

Brendan has also shown an interest in learning to play guitar so we are going to get him a guitar, too. Tonight he and Tori both played the acoustic one and really enjoyed it. And I could just see us having a big family jam session in the not-so-distant future. Awesome.

3 comments:

Jacob Hall said...

Hey Ang, that's great! Keep with it...I got about a year in, and became annoyed with myself for seeming to not get much better, and my guitar sits in its stand at home looking impressive. Maybe you can inspire me to pick it up again :). Good luck, its tough but fun.

lidija. said...

congratulations! :) how awesome! i think it's wonderful that you're going for it!! i would never dare to learn to play the guitar b/c it looks so hard! you're braver than i!! and an inspiration!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Dave told me that you were going to be learning guitar last Wednesday and I was so excited for you! It would be so much fun to see you playing your rifts some day. :)

I always feel inspired when I hear of people who have wanted to do things for a while, then just go for it!

Good for you Angie! I hope it continues to go really well.