Monday, January 26, 2009

Spring Cleaning for Normal People: Week 1

After getting a great jump start from my parents visiting last week, I am going to participate in this challenge by Crystal at Biblical Womanhood. This is based on an e-book written by the author of another great blog, Simple Moms. So many links! The idea is that spring cleaning can happen at anytime with some small steps and doesn't need to happen in a day or a weekend. I tend to have lots of motivation for starting a project but poor follow through. About halfway through, I lose steam and focus and just want to quit.

It doesn't have to be this way though! This book breaks it down for you and Crystal is going to post an assignment from the book each week for the next several weeks. If you do each assignment, you'll have a house that is decluttered, cleaned and organized at the end! The accountability factor is a bonus.

This week's assignment is to read pg. 1-16 of the e-book, quickly walk through your house and throw out all trash you see, and then go through each room and quickly scan items to find things to give or sell. To help you decide what to give or sell, answer the following questions: "Is this useful to me and/or my family? Is this beautiful to me and/or my family?"

For more details, head over to Biblical Womanhood. You can also buy a copy of the e-book, Spring Cleaning for Normal People at this link on Simple Moms.

I'll write back later to share how it is going for me. I am very indecisive so I know deciding what things are worth keeping is going to be the hardest for me. I also know that I appreciate the things that I keep so much more after getting rid of the things that don't mean as much so it's worth it. It's nice to open a closet and just see clothes that fit well and that I like to wear. It's inspiring when everything has a place - that much easier to put it away! If you decide to join me, let me know and good luck!

No comments: