Friday, January 2, 2009

Some goals for the New Year

I don't normally do New Years resolutions. Not really officially. Throughout the year I'll set small goals for myself. Since our anniversary is Jan. 4th, Josh and I will usually talk about the past year and what we'd like the new year to bring. But I never write down a list of specific things that I want to accomplish. I do know, however, that when you write something down, you are much more likely (I can't remember the percentage) to actually do it. So I've decided to write down a few goals for this year and hopefully get some accountability from some of you.

Goal #1 - to learn to play a song that actually sounds like a song on the guitar. I won't say that I'll commit to practicing every day because I know myself too well but I want to at least continue to pick it up every so often and make some progress with it.

Goal #2 - to read these 5 books:
1. Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas
2. The Radical Reformission: Reaching Out without Selling Out by Mark Driscoll
3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
4. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
5. For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhaln

I love to read so this shouldn't be a problem but I tend to have trouble finishing certain books. I start them with lots of excitement and then set it down after a chapter or two to mull it over and then another one catches my eye. I started 5 books after Christmas and have not picked up any of them since. I want to read for pleasure but also for knowledge and that requires me to be intentional about it. I only picked 5 because I will also be reading a book for my monthly book club and then of course, there will be all the other books that compete for my attention. If anyone would like to read any of these with me, let me know!

Goal #3 - To finish our school year with a happy heart and joyful spirit. It's okay if my kids don't like school. I am working on accepting this. Sometimes it is not fun and it is not my job to make it fun. It is my job to teach them. And I have decided that it's not okay if I don't like it. What does that say to my kids if I grumble and complain about having to teach them? I don't want them to feel like a burden ever. That will be my daily prayer - for God to create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me.

I think those goals are enough for now. It's a good start.

No comments: